Have the kids grown out of their lifejackets? Perhaps you’re taking your mates out for the day? Or do your guests outnumber the number of spare lifejackets on board?
As skipper you're legally required to ensure that you carry a suitable, correctly fitted lifejacket for each person on board. To help keep you safe out on the water, Coastguard, with the support of our friends at Hutchwilco, operate a lifejacket rental service to cover you no matter what situation you're faced with.
At the Marine Rescue Centre in Auckland we have quality foam Hutchwilco lifejackets that are in as-new condition and available in sizes from infants through to adults XXL.
Lifejacket Rental Fees
Coastguard members get $10 off the standard rental fee, just show us your card or give us your membership details when you pick up the lifejackets.
Bookings and collection
While bookings aren’t essential, to ensure we have the right sized lifejacket here for you, you can reserve a lifejacket by emailing [email protected] with the date, number and size of lifejacket/s you require, or by contacting us on 0800 BOATIE (262 843).
Please note that lifejacket rental is currently only offered from the Auckland Marine Rescue Centre in Mechanics Bay, Auckland, Monday to Friday between 8:30am and 5:00pm. Check out the conditions of hire below.
I want to buy a lifejacket instead – what should I get?
There are plenty of options for lifejackets out there, based on the type of water sport you do. Check out our tips here for the best lifejacket for your activity.
Payment and conditions of hire
- All lifejackets must be picked up from the Coastguard headquarters at the Auckland Marine Rescue Centre, Mechanics Bay, Auckland (see map above) between 8:30am and 5:00pm, Monday to Friday.
- Weekend bookings need be collected on the Friday and returned on the Monday by 5:00pm.
- Payment can be made by cash, Eftpos or credit at time of collection.
- We will take a copy of your drivers license as protection against damage of lifejackets.
- Late return will incur an additional charge.
- Responsibility: The hirer agrees to wear the lifejacket in the approved safe manner. Coastguard representatives can show you how to wear them safely and properly before hire commences. The lifejacket will be safely and carefully stored when it's not being worn. Coastguard accepts no responsibility for the use and efficiency of the equipment.
- Ownership: The lifejacket remains the property of Coastguard at all times.
- Hireage fees: The full fee will be paid prior to uplifting the lifejacket. Any damages or cleaning charges will be paid for at the time of return depending on the condition of the lifejacket.
- Returns: The hirer will return the lifejacket to the place of hire promptly on completion of the rental period. The lifejacket must be clean and dry; if used in salt water, it must be rinsed and dried thoroughly.
Boatie's Best Mate.
Get a Coastguard membership today for peace of mind when you’re out boating.