Have the kids grown out of their lifejackets? Perhaps you’re taking your mates out for the day? Or do your guests outnumber the number of spare lifejackets on board?
As skipper you're legally required to ensure that you carry a suitable, correctly fitted lifejacket for each person on board. To help keep you safe out on the water, Coastguard, with the support of our friends at Hutchwilco, operate a lifejacket rental service to cover you no matter what situation you're faced with.
At the Marine Rescue Centre in Auckland we have quality foam Hutchwilco lifejackets that are in as-new condition and available in sizes from infants through to adults XXL.
Lifejacket Rental Fees, Bookings and Collection
Lifejacket rentals are available for a minimum period of one month. Bookings must be made in advance by contacting the team on 0800 BOATIE (262 843), press option 2, or email [email protected]
Payment by credit card is required when booking. Your payment can be taken securely by phone. Once payment is confirmed, we’ll schedule your pick up time. Please note, photo ID will be required for pick up.
Pick up Thursday 16 December
Return Monday 17 January
Pick up Thursday 23 December
Return Monday 24 January
Please note that the Auckland Marine Rescue Centre (AMRC) is currently closed to the public. Lifejacket rental is currently only offered from the AMRC if booked in advance. Check out the conditions of hire below.
I want to buy a lifejacket instead – what should I get?
There are plenty of options for lifejackets out there, based on the type of water sport you do. Check out our tips here for the best lifejacket for your activity.
Payment and conditions of hire
- All lifejackets must be picked up from the Coastguard headquarters at the Auckland Marine Rescue Centre, Mechanics Bay, Auckland (see map above) at a previously agreed pick-up.
- Payment can be made by Credit Card over the phone unless arranged otherwise.
- We will take a copy of your drivers license as protection against damage of lifejackets.
- Late return will incur an additional charge.
- Responsibility: The hirer agrees to wear the lifejacket in the approved safe manner. Coastguard representatives can show you how to wear them safely and properly before hire commences. The lifejacket will be safely and carefully stored when it's not being worn. Coastguard accepts no responsibility for the use and efficiency of the equipment.
- Ownership: The lifejacket remains the property of Coastguard at all times.
- Hireage fees: The full fee will be paid prior to uplifting the lifejacket. Any damages or cleaning charges will be paid for at the time of return depending on the condition of the lifejacket.
- Returns: The hirer will return the lifejacket to the place of hire promptly on completion of the rental period. The lifejacket must be clean and dry; if used in salt water, it must be rinsed and dried thoroughly.
Boatie's Best Mate.
Get a Coastguard membership today for peace of mind when you’re out boating.