Winter doesn’t stop us boaties doing what we love. But as the conditions change, it’s always good to stay on top of safety. Here’s Tower’s top tips.
Stay on top of maintenance
- Inspect your boat for damage from summer trips
- Winterise your engine and plumbing systems
- Keep it covered when not in use and don’t forget to securely lock your trailer
Stay ahead of changing conditions
- Check the weather forecast first. Use Nowcasting in the Coastguard app
- Have an emergency kit onboard, flashlight, flare, floatation device etc.
- Make sure you’ve tested your communication devices
Stay within your limits
- Don't push yourself or your boat beyond its limits
- Know when to turn back or seek shelter
- Be aware of hypothermia and its symptoms
Check your boat insurance
- Have you got all of your watercraft insured?
- Do you need additional cover for equipment on board?
- Is your watercraft covered both on and off the water?
Need insurance for your boat, jet ski or other vessel? Tower boat insurance keeps you covered both on and off the water.*
With every boat, house, contents, & motor insurance policy you buy here, Tower will make a payment to help us save lives on the water. Tower is Coastguard’s preferred insurance provider – Backing boaties together.
Now check your boat, wrap up and go catch some fish.
*Terms, conditions, limits, exclusions and underwriting criteria apply. Please read your boat insurance policy in full.
Boatie's Best Mate.
Get a Coastguard membership today for peace of mind when you’re out boating.